Wednesday, December 3, 2008

UNDERESTIMATED.

I felt like Laker fans needed a boost after last night's game. So I thought I'd write about something positive. What better subject than to write about Mr. Trevor Ariza.

Last year I caught myself wondering why we traded Mo Evans and Brian Cook for one guy I have never even heard of before. Then Trevor started picking the ball away from the opposing team, and showed everyone why people should know his name during last years Christmas game against Phoenix when he put Grant Hill on a Poster.

This UCLA alumni was drafted By the Knicks in the 2nd round in 2004. Later traded to the Orlando Magic in 2006. Then last year found his way back to his hometown in Los Angeles. Sidelined by a foot injury(about one week after Andrew Bynum injured his knee), kept him on the bench for the rest of the 07'-08' season. The injury kept us Laker fans oblivious to what he is potentially capable of. This year he's come back, and has been drinking plenty of milk! He's become or always was the defensive catalyst and energy man off the bench. Coming out with some big plays for the Lakers that because of him we won certain games. His career average was 6.5pts, 3.7rebs and has only made 17 three-pointers. This year he averages 10.1pts, 5.5rebs, 2.4asts, 1.8stls, .44blks, and has already made 8 three-pointers in 16 games alone. His stats don't even account for the many ball deflections and changed shots he has caused.

He is known as a defensive player, but this year is making a statement that he can do more than just defend. He's got jump-shot and is starting to dissect the defense and get in the lane. In the open floor on a fast-break with quick steps and swift moves, he's pretty much unstoppable. When asked if he worked on all those areas during the summer, he replied that he had always possessed those attributes and just wasn't given the time of day to showcase those talents. Now on the Lakers, he's given the freedom to show what he can do. Trevor now is starting to play like one of NBA's elite.

“My biggest motivation is proving people wrong. I’ve always known what I could do. I’m not for making people look bad, but when there’s doubters it’s always special to surprise them. People kept saying that I wasn’t going to make it. They would say that I was going to end up playing overseas and whatnot. Some people flat out would come up to me and tell me that I was making a bad decision and that I was messing up my life. It feels good to know that I haven’t.” - Trevor Ariza

No comments: