Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kobe will play through the pain.

ESPN.com
The Los Angeles Lakers are going too good for Kobe Bryant to take a break.

Despite dislocating the ring finger on his shooting hand in a 105-88 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday, Bryant said that he will play through the pain and try not to miss any time, according to the Los Angeles Times.

"These [injuries] are things that you just don't want to do anything with that hand, let alone play basketball or pound the ball or dribble it or shoot it," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said, according to the newpaper. "It's a lot of difficulty, but it's a trademark of who Kobe is."

Bryant got his finger caught up on LeBron James trying to steal a ball. After the play ended, a grimacing Bryant went to the sidelines and had the finger put back in place by the trainer. He finished the game with 20 points and 12 assists in 41 minutes, but he called the pain "probably the most I'd ever played with," according to the Times.

Bryant, who is third in the league in scoring at 27 points per game, missed practice on Tuesday and was wearing a splint.
Bryant played with a tendon injury in his pinkie last season. Although he said this injury hurt more, he was glad that it wasn't worse.

"It's not fractured or anything like that. I'm happy," he said, according to the L.A. Times. "I just made a stab at the ball and I think I caught it at the right angle. I just felt it slide out of place. At that point, I felt like I had done something much worse than what actually happened."

No comments: